Urban Lucubration

Observations on misanthropy, anonymity, and the value of silence.

February 28, 2011

Classical Song of the Week



Classical Song of the Week: Miserere Mei, Deus
Composer: Allegri

Remains my favorite classical choral piece to date.  There are many versions of Miserere, some sung by contemporary groups and others by traditional cathedral choirs.  I do think that the gravity of this piece is best conveyed through traditional church choirs that still employ boy sopranos.  I am not a treble purist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do prefer the timbre of a young boy's voice as the Soprano I soars to an unbelievably clear C6.

This particular performance is by the King's College Chapel Choir, certainly one group that I follow closely.  A very tight performance, as usual.  The theme of this piece is forgiveness and seeking of redemption.  Although I am not religious myself, I find that the song adopts an entirely novel level of enjoyment when one frames it as a lament - a plea for forgiveness to the Judeo-Christian god.  Very nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment